harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Gorr" <vvg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multi-tree HDK config - working directory ( was Re: Supporting working on a single module?)
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 09:22:52 GMT
On 5/25/06, Oliver Deakin <oliver.deakin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Vladimir Gorr wrote:

> >> Perhaps the HDK would have a default location which could be overridden
> >> by passing a command line option to the build scripts - possibly in a
> >> similar
> >> way to Marks suggestion for selection of the rmi module location [1].
> >> My modifications to build an HDK from the classlib code (HARMONY-469)
> >> use an Ant property hy.hdk to specify the root directory of the HDK.
> >> With
> >> the current patch, this property doesnt quite propagate all the way
> down
> >> to the native makefiles, but this shouldnt be too hard to extend. Once
> >> this
> >> was done, a developer could then override the default HDK location
> using
> >> a command line similar to:
> >>
> >>    ant -Dhy.hdk=/my/hdk/location -f make/build.xml
> >>

> >> The default HDK location would probably depend on what area you are
> >> working
> >> on - in classlib the trunk/deploy directory is the default build
> >> location at the
> >> moment, and I think it makes sense to keep this as the default HDK
> >> directory.

> >> I imagine that an HDK would come in a zip format, much like the current
> >> snapshots [2].
> >> If this was the case, then once you have downloaded the HDK zip, you
> can
> >> unpack it
> >> into your working directory where it will be modified.
> >

> > Oliver,
> >
> > whether does it mean the HDK will contain the sources (src.zip?) as
> well?
> > Otherwise I don't understand what can be modified. Could you please
> > clarify
> > this?
>
> Hi Vladimir,
>
> When you rebuild, the old versions of binaries (dll/so/jar etc.) would
> be overwritten
> with the new versions that are built from your altered code, and
> potentially altered
> header files will be replaced (e.g. jni.h).

 Hi Oliver,

if I correctly understand ALL will be re-built in this case but not only the
altered sources.
I mean the following. Suppose, at first, I check out the Harmony sources on
my machine.
The next step is the downloading the HDK pre-compiled from these sources
some time ago.
Note the dates for both binaries & sources files will be up-to-date (I
mean they will differ from original ones)
and therefore the 'ant -Dhy.hdk=/my/hdk/location -f make/build.xml' command
will re-compile all sources
from scratch (due to all dependencies were lost). IMHO the idea of HDK was
different (at least I understood so).
AFAIU it's supposed re-using the pre-compiled binaries for the lazy
developers. Or am I wrong?

Thanks,
Vladimir.

This is similar to the current system, where you can use a snapshot