harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Gorr" <vvg...@gmail.com>
Subject [DRLVM] build process improvement
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 12:23:38 GMT
My personal opinion is we need to improve the existent build system for
DRLVM contribution.

I'd like to share my thoughts how it can be accomplished.

It's known there are two stages of build process:

   - Downloading the sources for the third party tools (./build.sh
   update);
   - Compilation process (./build.sh).

 First stage is enough prolonged process and should be performed by each who
is interested in this.

It's clear the versions of third party tools will not be permanently changed
(I mean very often).

Therefore there are no needs to compile them each of participants. It'd be
fine to have these sources pre-compiled (another snapshot?)

and to download the binaries at the VM compilation stage. In my opinion it
will speed up the DRLVM build process

and all will be only happy.

Maybe it's prematurely to think about this right now. I don't know. I just
want to understand what people think about this.
Does it make big sense to make it?

Thanks,
Vladimir.