harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM] build process improvement
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 19:32:12 GMT
On Tuesday 30 May 2006 22:32 Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
> > The VM and the classlib will be parallel trees, for example...
> >
> > harmony/enhanced/classlib
> > harmony/enhanced/<whatevernameforVM>
>
> Besides XXXVM and classlib trees, are we going to have some place for
> the things which can be shared between VM and classlib? For example,
> where do we put common include files like jni.h which have to be used
> both by VM and classlib during compilation, do we keep them in every
> XXXVM and classlib tree, or somewhere else?

I think there are two cases.

When you build harmony/enhanced/classlib you should use external headers
supplied by the SDK which is used for building, so the location should be
$JAVA_HOME/include, be it HDK or SDK from any other vendor.

When building harmony/enhanced/<whatevernameforVM> headers should be taken
from this particular VM and then copied to the distribution under include/
folder.

This will allow to build classlib not depending on any particular VM. On the
other hand it will allow to build VMs with the headers and versions of
JNI/JVMTI/JVMDI/JVMPI/whatever interface that this particular VM supports and
build distribution based on this VM with interface headers that belong to it.

Does it make sense?

> Another example: suppose one day VM and classlib decide to share the
> code from the modules like port, zip support, thread e.t.c.. What
> should be the right location for these modules, should they be a part
> of VM or a part of classlib?

I think the best would be shared libraries, libjavaport, libjavazip (just name
examples, I don't care how to call them), etc, developed separately in the
source tree. Maybe even separate Apache projects if they become widely used?

So I think the right place would be

harmony/enhanced/libjavaport
harmony/enhanced/libjavazip