harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Gray <chris.g...@kiffer.be>
Subject Re: So today Sun announced...
Date Fri, 19 May 2006 12:38:03 GMT

> Open Source java wouldn't be the same if there wasn't some standard to
> follow and adhere to. If this "standard" is defined rather more by one
> company than the rest - what is the real problem?

The real problem is that if that company also markets an implementation of the
standard, there will always be forces within the company which view all other
implementations as competitors.

I don't believe that Fortran or C would would have been better off had IBM or
AT&T controlled the standardisation process the way Sun are doing with Java.