harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Gray <chris.g...@kiffer.be>
Subject Re: [DRLVM] build process improvement
Date Thu, 18 May 2006 07:15:01 GMT
On Thursday 18 May 2006 06:11, Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> 2006/5/18, Chris Gray <chris.gray@kiffer.be>:
> > On Wednesday 17 May 2006 20:27, Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> > > Just FYI...
> > > We WILL have cyclic dependencies. In AWT and Swing modules for example.
> >
> > Sorry, you've lost me. Do you mean AWT depends on Swing? That seems odd.
>
> Not much, but...
>
> Check java.awt.im.spi.InputMethodContext interface for example. One of
> its methods returns JFrame.

Blech. That also means Swing (or a stub) needs to be on the bootclasspath if
AWT is used. (Just like java.security depends on java.awt, so even headless
systems need to have java.awt.AWTPermission - but at least that's all within
java.*).

Now that you mention it, I think we came across another example recently where
a java.* class depended on a javax.* one, just for one stupid method.
Modularity is not Sun's strong suit.

Thanks,

Chris