harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Supporting working on a single module?
Date Wed, 10 May 2006 08:51:20 GMT

On 10 May 2006 at 14:59, "Vladimir Gorr" <vvgorr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Whether do I correctly understand it's supposed to modify the existent
> build system? I mean the following.
>
> Each of modules (or components) has the native (shared & platform
> specific) and Java parts.
>
> As a rule these components will be built with similar way. If there is
> any specific (compile options, for example) the property file will be
> created for this component and used for the build purpose. The rest
> of classes and libraries needed to compile will be taken over the
> snapshot. All component deliverables will substitute the original ones
> from the snapshot. In this case the developer needs to download only
> the component sources for development process.
>
> Is my understanding correct?

I think so.  But I didn't really say anything about classes, I was
mostly concerned with native code.  While the issue does apply to
classes, that problem is almost already solved since the jre includes
the necessary artifacts to compile any single module.  In fact, if you
are working on, for example, prefs, and type "ant -f make/build.xml" in
"modules/text" then those artifacts, the jars, are used.

A while ago, we discussed moving the native source code into the modules
in a structure similar to that of the java code.  See:

  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200603.mbox/%3c4410328E.4070904@googlemail.com%3e

When you come to try to do this, it is obvious where most of the
sub-directories under shared, linux.ia32 and win.ia32 should be moved.
However, the include directory contains files that logically come from
many modules.

I think we should split these files up by moving them to the module that
implements the interfaces defined in the headers.  The problem with this
is that we'd end up with many modules having an include path with
luni/thread/include for hythread.h, archive/zip/include for zipsup.h,
etc.

As I mentioned earlier, we don't work this way with the java
compilation, we simply add the single fileset with the jre/lib/boot
jars.  So, I think, at build time, we should move the headers that
define the interfaces to a common location too - an include directory in
the "hdk".

The next issue is whether we should then package up the "hdk" to allow
people to work without checking out the entire classlib.

Regards,
 Mark.