harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivan Volosyuk" <ivan.volos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jchevm status?
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 20:14:18 GMT
Weldon,

2006/5/15, Weldon Washburn <weldonwjw@gmail.com>:
> Ivan,
>
> It is great you are spending time on gnuclasspathadapter.  As you have
> discovered, there is a lot of work remaining to be done.  It would be
> really good if you can document the problems you had in when following
> my directions.

Here is issues I've found:
* There was no build instructions. I assumed that I should place the
adapter separately, as it have 'doit.bat' kind of build files.
* No build files for linux.
* Changes to harmony tree happened so I need to fix some imports in
patched java-files.
* Java files has hardcoded absolute path for glue native library.
LD_PRELOAD and modified jchevm to search libraries via
dlsym(RTLD_DEFAULT, "").
* For specjvm98 made number of stubs for java.awt.* classes.
* Java_?_writeImpl() uses libvmi.so functionality which not
implemented in classlib stub. Need to write my own implementation.
* NewWeakGlobalRef used by nio. Changed jchevm to fallback to
NewGlobalRef instead of crash.
* Functionality from HyVMLSFunctionTable is used. Workaround: comment
out java.io.File.oneTimeInitialization(). This was already done by
you, but somehow I've lost the change when merging.
* Problem with incorrect class interfaces looks like introduced by my
quick replacement of awt classes. Going to investigate it.

> How much time will you be able to work on gnuclasspathadapter?  It
> would be good to know so that we can figure out how to split the
> project efficiently.

I am not planing to do much work on it. May be I'll spent some time in weekend.

> I gave up on specJVM98 for now because JCHEVM/SableVM eagerly resolves
> classes.  It keeps trying to pull in a bunch of specJVM98 AWT classes.
>  I tried hacking awt out of specJVM98 source code but it got way too
> convoluted.
>
> My current plan is to try to get Mauve's gnu/testlet/java/io/File test
> to run.   I hope to post mods to the native methods that are needed to
> support gnu/testlet/java/io/File fairly soon.
>
> On 5/14/06, Ivan Volosyuk <ivan.volosyuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sure, if I have some outstanding results I'll share it. As for now...
> >
> > It was quite challenging to run "hello world" using glue layer from Harmony-318.
> > Some changes was made to the classes layout, patched classes are a bit outdated.
> > I didn't found libvmi.so for jchevm, so I've taken modified version from drlvm.
> > There is no documentation about HyVMLSFunctionTable functions used by
>
> I was also thinking of stealing pieces of DRLVM.  I started this
> project before DRLVM had been donated.  Thus there were no pieces to
> steal.  But now things have changed.  Thus time to reassess how to
> move forward.
>
> > harmony classlib, and it is used quite strange way. Helpfully, Weldon
> > has commented out its usage.
>
> Interesting.  Do you really mean, "helpfully"?  Perhaps you mean, "hopefully"??

That's right.

--
Regards,
Ivan