harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Gandara" <danielgand...@neosur.com>
Subject Re: ITC rmi tests (was Re: towards a new implementation of java.math)
Date Wed, 17 May 2006 16:29:15 GMT
> Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 17 May 2006 at 12:30, "Daniel Gandara" <danielgandara@neosur.com>
> wrote:
>> Mark Hindess wrote:
>> >
>> > Daniel,
>> >
>> > I've just contributed a JIRA,
>> >  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-471
>> > that integrates the ITC rmi implementation as modules/rmi.  (The jsr14
>> > version.  Only the code at the moment, I creating the scripts/patches
>> > for the tests next.)
>>
>>    We've been working on improvements to the rmi test suite,
>> I've contributed that at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-473
>> (I created a new JIRA since previous one HARMONY-211 was closed-)
>> so please take that test suite.
>
> Thanks for the heads-up.  I just saw the JIRA messages.  (I notice it
> includes all the code again and is classified as a contribution.  But
> I assume this is just a derivative work of the previous contribution
> rather than a new contribution?  That is we don't need to wait for
> another vote.)

you are right, my mistake, it is a derivative work, I should have classified
it as classlib or something like that.  I'll try to change that...

> Integrating the tests was proving interesting.  Have you been following
> the discussion of the test naming/layout conventions?  The latest
> proposal is here:
>

> http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/testing.html
>
> I was having a little difficulty in (quickly) figuring out which tests
> are implementation-independent (api) tests.  Or indeed which tests will
> run stand-alone without any infrastructure being configured.  Perhaps
> you could help?  I don't really like the idea of integrating code
> without at least some tests that everyone can run.

rmi is kinda complex at this point.   rmi is distributed "in nature" so
some infraestructure setup is needed to run meaningful tests involving
at least a client and a server; furthermore a given process must be
done to export objects, register them and then get clients use them.
Only JUnit test will run stand-alone; which in the case of rmi
do not say too much about the package... but anyway, unit tests
are there so lets put them toghether with the code.
Junits from on our suite are those named:
- ar.org.fitc.test.rmi
- ar.org.fitc.test.rmi.activation
- ar.org.fitc.test.rmi.server
- ar.org.fitc.test.rmi.registry
- ar.org.fitc.test.rmi.dgc

> In the meantime, I'll take a look at the new JIRA.
>
>> Daniel Gandara
>> BTW: we are a bunch of Daniels here at Cordoba :)))
>
> ;-)
>
> Regards,
> -Mark.

regards,