harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Do we mix up regression and unit tests?
Date Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:37:50 GMT
On 4/23/06, Dmitry M. Kononov <dmitry.m.kononov@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/22/06, LvJimmy´╝îJing <firepure@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In my understanding, if someone want to add some regression tests to test APIs,
it
> > can be added directly to the API test files if any, it is not necessary to
> > open a new file.
>
> I see. Could you please explain what is your understanding of tests
> that are located in the luni/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/tests/*
> directories? I would like to know what is the reason of creating
> subdirectories of the <module>/src/test/java directory others than the
> tests directory?

You are right to be confused.  It is confusing.  But it's just
historical.

I think it is an attempt to match the package naming convention for
tests as described at:

  http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/pkgnaming.html

It says that tests should be in packages named:

  org.apache.harmony.<modulename>.tests

The 'tests' packages are a result of integration of contributions that
for whatever reason did not use the naming convention.

Having said that I think that *none* of the tests current have the
correct package names according the that naming convention.  Those
closest are missing the '<modulename>' before 'tests'.

Should we rename our tests to match the convention?  (Thus breaking
lots of JIRA patches ;-( ).

Regards,
 Mark.

IBM Java Technology Centre, UK.