harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Copying resource files - what for?
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:21:05 GMT
On 4/20/06, George Harley <george.c.harley@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Mark Hindess wrote:
> > I suspect inclusion of the resource files (with path renaming) could
> > be handled by a zip/tar task rather than by copying every time the
> > tests are run.  So I don't think this is a good reason.
> >
> > Regards,
> >  Mark.
> >

> Hi Mark,
>
> The resource files don't get copied every time the tests are run. The
> Ant copy task only does it if the destination file is stale with respect
> to the source.
>
> You are really proposing that an Ant copy be replaced with a zip/tar
> task ? How often will the resultant archive be refreshed ? If an entry
> is stale with respect to the source ? Hang on, that sounds familiar....

No.  This was a response to Mikhail's message about a single
downloadable binary image.  That would already have a tar/zip
task which could include the resource files from src without needing
an additional copy task.

I was merely point out the requirement for a downloadable binary did
really make any difference to the argument about copying (or not) the
resource files.

Regards,
 Mark.

> > On 4/20/06, Mikhail Loenko <mloenko@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I can see one reason to copy resources - if we want to produce
> >> a single downloadable binary image of the test suite.
> >>
> >> Other than that it does not make much sense to me.
> >>
> >> The image might be usefull for kind of regular QA cycles later.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mikhail

But
May