harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: should strings in exceptions match the reference implementation?
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 05:52:04 GMT
Ok.  I think it's a little unfortunate for our users that we can't
match error messages but you are probably correct about them being
copyright.

So, the second issue, should we be checking for messages/descriptions
in exception
tests, even to match what Harmony throws?  If we do then our api tests
wont pass on other implementations.

Regards,
 Mark.

On 4/17/06, Anton Avtamonov <anton.avtamonov@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/17/06, LvJimmy´╝îJing <firepure@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Agreed. Try some other words may be better. The only possible un-compatible
> > with RI is that some rookie may write codes like:
> > try{
> > }catch(Except e){
> >    if (e.getMessage().equals(RI_String)){
> >        dosomething;
> >    }
> > }
> > But this kind of code is properly unstable and unacceptable,right?
>
> Agree. I expect there is no or almost no client applications doing
> that. I think we shouldn't be message-compatible. Otherwise we would
> have to be compatible with localized messages as well in assumption
> someone checks for e.getLocalizedMessage() :-).
>
> --
> Anton Avtamonov,
> Intel Middleware Products Division

IBM Java Technology Centre, UK.