harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject quicker builds with more recent versions of ant
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:21:04 GMT
Just in case this helps anyone else.

I noticed something odd this morning.  Although the default excludes
in ant 1.6.2 correctly ignore .svn directories it doesn't seem to do
so very efficiently.  For example, doing:

ant -f make/build.xml clean
ant -f make/build-java.xml copy-resources

The copy-resources step takes over twice as long with ant 1.6.2 than
with ant 1.6.5.
(Note, the exclude still works and no files in .svn directories are
copied or it would been even slower.  Much older (some 1.5 versions
and older I think) of ant will copy files in .svn directories but i
doubt anyone will see this.)

The reason was obvious when ran:

  strace -o stat.syscalls.log -e stat64 ant -f make/build-java.xml
copy-resources
  fgrep -c /.svn/ stat.syscalls.log

With ant 1.6.2 the fgrep counts 22948 stat calls for files within .svn
directories but with ant 1.6.5 it counts zero!

I mention this because it will undoubtedly slow down builds for anyone
using this version of ant *and* because this version of ant is the
default for Debian stable users so quite a few people will probably be
using this version.

I've upgraded (using ant 1.6.5 which is in unstable).  It's not really
a big deal but it certainly makes a difference if you are running on
slow hardware (or like me doing some testing under an emulator like
qemu).

Regards,
 Mark.

IBM Java Technology Centre, UK.