harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] unmodified generic GNU Classpath JVM can now run Classlib "hello world"
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 05:29:27 GMT

> On 4/12/06, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > 1) Copy the luni-kernel and security-kernel stubs and add
> >   implementation rather than doing it in place.  The stubs are just for
> >   compilation we shouldn't add anything VM (or VM adapter) specific to
> >   them.
>
> hmm.... not sure what you are suggesting.  The stubs allow the build
> to finish properly but the resultant binary won't run on any JVM
> because the stubs are hollow.

Exactly!  I'm saying we should leave them like that.

We should copy the hollow stubs to a classpathadapter project tree and
modify those rather than modifying the copies in the classlib project.

Aside: Since classlib is just compiling against these stub, it doesn't
really matter if we modify them to add classpath adapter specific
implementation. But I think it might be confusing to others coming to
implement these kernel classes for a different VM.  So we should keep
them hollow and not make the classpath adapter "special".

Then when we want to use the adapter, we overwrite the hollow stubs in
the deploy directory.  As I said:

> > I think we should be looking to create something, that when
> > combined with JCHEVM, can be dropped in to the deploy tree in the
> > same way that the current IBM VME is dropped in.

HTH,
 Mark.

IBM Java Technology Centre, UK.