harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Compiling with jsr14 target
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:11:45 GMT

> George Harley wrote:
> > Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> >> so it is a top level parameter that can cascade down, right?
> >>
> >> geir
> >>

> > Hi Geir,
> >
> > No, it isn't a top level parameter at the moment. A new JIRA will be
> > opened to make it so after the initial switch-over takes place. Does
> > that sound reasonable ?
>
> Sure.  Sorry I wasn't clear - I was more asking about the potential to
> make it so, not challenging anything.  IOW, a switch at the top to be
> able to back out in case something goes wonky?

It's not that hard to back out  the changes George is planning - "svn
diff -rblah -rblah |patch -R -p0" should do it.

Admittedly having a simple "switch" would be easier.  George and I
discussed factoring out the target property but by that point he'd
already done substantial testing on his changes.  We figured it was
more likely to break something if he made it a "switch" now without
repeating all the testing.  So I offered to create a JIRA and submit a
patch to make it a switch after his changes have gone in.

Not ideal but a compromise and

(Don't tell George, but to be honest this isn't much of an offer since
George's change - and any subsequent build breaks ;-)  - will
highlight exactly what needs changing to make it a top-level property.
 It'll take longer to ttest than it will to make the changes.)

> Also, why are you doing a JIRA?  This is work you are doing, right?

I think he meant to make sure the factoring of the target property got
done (by me).

Regards,
 Mark.

IBM Java Technology Centre, UK.