harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: select one (was: RE: svn commit: r391955 [5/5] - in /incubator/harmony/enhanced/...)
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 05:40:41 GMT
> Mark Hindess wrote:
> > Mikhail, Thanks for the pointers.
> >
> > I dug back in the mail archives.  Geir wrote:
> >
> >> I think of it still as "live material" in our tree, but I don't
> >> feel too strongly about this.  If we keep it there, we should set  a
> >> policy to expire it out of there at some point.
> >
> > I'd suggest that the two files that you mention which are "never used"
> > probably don't qualify as "live material". ;-)
> Agreed.
> >
> > So, now my question is when is it going to be expired?  i'd suggest
> > that anything moved to archive should have an expiry date set in a
> > file or svn property when it is moved so it is clear when it will be
> > removed.
> >
> > Personally, I still think having paths archive/modules and
> > modules/archive is confusing.  99% of our users will never use the
> > extra >1.5M overhead of "svn checkout" that 'archive' creates.  The 1%
> > who might want it can easily find it in svn.
> The only reason we stuck security in an archive/modules was because we
> wanted an easy way to be copying things that we found useful to the live
> version - mainly javadoc and such.  We were afraid that if we deleted
> it, it would be a pain to do that.

That's a good point.

I'd forgotten that it was a little easier to create HARMONY-277 with
archive where it was.  Still, it'd be just as easy with archive out of
the main tree too.

> My real fear is that we'd collectively forget.  Maybe I'm just projecting :)

No comment. ;-)

> So how about this - why don't we put a text file somewhere (in SVN!) in
> which we "log" major things that we delete, and put the svn rev # of
> where it was live.

Or we could just move archive out of the classlib/trunk?

> That way we don't forget what we've tossed, and also make it easy to get
> something back, w/o having to play "wack-a-mole" with the version numbers...
> Also, if it's small stuff, I assume that there's no reason to log unless
> someone squawks...?

If we moved the files out of classlib/trunk then we'd have a log of
all the moves for free with "svn log

I should point out that would help to make what is being moved
explicit in the log message... the log message from the security move

  moving to archive so we can harvest the javadoc easily at
  some point in near future

which might be a rather common for an archive tree.

IBM Java Technology Centre, UK.