harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: select one (was: RE: svn commit: r391955 [5/5] - in /incubator/harmony/enhanced/...)
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 05:40:41 GMT

> Mark Hindess wrote:
> > Mikhail, Thanks for the pointers.
> >
> > I dug back in the mail archives.  Geir wrote:
> >
> >> I think of it still as "live material" in our tree, but I don't
> >> feel too strongly about this.  If we keep it there, we should set  a
> >> policy to expire it out of there at some point.
> >
> > I'd suggest that the two files that you mention which are "never used"
> > probably don't qualify as "live material". ;-)
>
> Agreed.
>

> > So, now my question is when is it going to be expired?  i'd suggest
> > that anything moved to archive should have an expiry date set in a
> > file or svn property when it is moved so it is clear when it will be
> > removed.
> >
> > Personally, I still think having paths archive/modules and
> > modules/archive is confusing.  99% of our users will never use the
> > extra >1.5M overhead of "svn checkout" that 'archive' creates.  The 1%
> > who might want it can easily find it in svn.
>
> The only reason we stuck security in an archive/modules was because we
> wanted an easy way to be copying things that we found useful to the live
> version - mainly javadoc and such.  We were afraid that if we deleted
> it, it would be a pain to do that.

That's a good point.

I'd forgotten that it was a little easier to create HARMONY-277 with
archive where it was.  Still, it'd be just as easy with archive out of
the main tree too.

> My real fear is that we'd collectively forget.  Maybe I'm just projecting :)

No comment. ;-)

> So how about this - why don't we put a text file somewhere (in SVN!) in
> which we "log" major things that we delete, and put the svn rev # of
> where it was live.

Or we could just move archive out of the classlib/trunk?

> That way we don't forget what we've tossed, and also make it easy to get
> something back, w/o having to play "wack-a-mole" with the version numbers...
>
> Also, if it's small stuff, I assume that there's no reason to log unless
> someone squawks...?

If we moved the files out of classlib/trunk then we'd have a log of
all the moves for free with "svn log
https://svn.apache.org/.../archive".

I should point out that would help to make what is being moved
explicit in the log message... the log message from the security move
says:

  moving to archive so we can harvest the javadoc easily at
  some point in near future

which might be a rather common for an archive tree.

Regards,
 Mark.

IBM Java Technology Centre, UK.