harmony-dev mailing list archives

From hadr...@Safe-mail.net
Subject Understanding the Harmony Laucher.
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 04:35:36 GMT
Hello there,
First, I want to apologise for my english which is not my natural language and
for all the times I chatted during english lessons at school.

I am a student at UQAM and I am following Etienne Gagnon's course on
Virtual Machines. I have studied SableVM since January, which means I do not
obviously know all its details, and I am currently working with Etienne on
adapting SableVM to work with Harmony classlib.

Actually, I am analysing the booting process presented in 5 steps and Physical
packaging presented in doxygen documentation at
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/doc/vm_doc/html/index.html
The scheme is neat but I would need a deeper comprehension and particulary on
the first boot process step :

In createVMArgs of native-src/launcher/main.c, it creates the VM in a
platform independant manner by calling
hysl_lookup_name (handle, "JNI_CreateJavaVM", (UDATA *) CreateJavaVM, "iLLL"))
to get a pointer to JNI_CreateJavaVM function provided by shared library
(libsablevm.so in my case), is that right ?

I am able to make the launcher call JNI_CreateJavaVM in libsablevm.so but I
need the VM to load class from Harmony and this is quite difficult as I do
not really get all the stuff the harmony launcher does.

If somebody can make me understand better the boot process, be sure I will be
very interrested.
Thank you.
Hadrien

-------