harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Loenko" <mloe...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib] matching RI exceptions -- are we required to have this type of compatibility?
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 06:48:45 GMT
Look at HARMONY-387.

Example:
1) java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream.write(byte[] b , int off, int len):
Harmony throws ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException when off<0 or/and len
<0, while RI throws IndexOutOfBoundsException.
Specification mentions neither ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException nor
IndexOutOfBoundsException.

Actually ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException is a sub class of
IndexOutOfBoundsException.

So the statement "both Harmony and RI throw IndexOutOfBoundsException" is
true.

But do we have to throw exactly those exceptions that are thrown by RI?

Can we throw
o.a.h.VMRisenNPE that extends NullPointerException?

What if they throw kind of
sun.internal.SunFavoriteSubClassOfNullPointerException ?

Thanks,
Mikhail