harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ilya Neverov" <ilya.neve...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: External libraries in the bootclasspath
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:43:06 GMT

I think there are actually two issues mostly independent from each other.

1) How to ensure that differnt versions of some package (bunch of
classes) are compatible with the rest of JRE classes. Or combination
of versions of other classes.

I think it's a huge problem and demand for such feature should be
estimated first to balance it with work for implementing a solution
for this complex problem.

2) tech question - how to hide classes included in JRE bundle from
application which requires specific (newer or older) version of API
and implementation.

IMHO all 3 ways are good for that - repackaging, separating by means
of classloaders and rearranging bootclasspath (put endorsed before
system jar-files). I think 3rd one is the easiest way to provide JRE
with specific version of top-level component. By top-level I mean
functionality which isn't used by other components of JRE or is used
through very general API provided by most versions of that component.
JAXP (XML processing) is an example of such component.

On 4/14/06, Stepan Mishura <stepan.mishura@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Soeren,
> I agree with you that this mechanism doesn't solve the issue with old
> library versions. And it doesn't prevent possible version conflicts with
> newer version so there is a chance that newer library version will break
> Harmony code. Right now I see only two alternatives repackaing and 'dedicated
> class loader' (as Mikhail suggested). IMHO we can repackage libraries in any
> but first it would be good to estimate how hard will be to implement the
> second approach.
> Thanks,
> Stepan.
Thank you.