harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] update on running Harmony Classlib on GNU Classpath VMs
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 00:13:41 GMT
Hi Tim,

> Weldon Washburn wrote:
> > I was able to eliminate almost all mods necessary to run Harmony
> > Classlib on a GNU Classpath VM.  The VM used is still JCHEVM.
>
> Cool -- I'd be very interested to hear about what you are doing.

I tried to give a complete explaination in the readme in JIRA
Harmony-318.  It would be great if you could tell me what this
document is missing or where it is unclear.

> > The VM
> > expects a specific hardcoded java lib directory structure.  Therefore,
> > directories such as kernel/src/main/java/gnu/classpath have been added
> > to Harmony Classlib.
>
> Do you mean directory paths to the class library JARs or specific class
> package names?

Actually I could not get JCHEVM/cygwin to read the JAR files.  I
simply use unzipped Harmony class files.  The directory paths in
question were added because generic GNU Classpath VMs are hardcoded to
expect to find specific class files in specific packages.  Which, in
turn, means creating the corresponding *.java files in new
directories.  The alternative would be to get GNU Classpath to modify
their directory structure plus get all the JVMs using GNU Classpath to
change their hardcoding.

> > The one remaining mod to JCHEVM is because dlopen() fails to load
> > hynio.dll.
>
> That DLL shouldn't be loaded?  We moved the natives out into hyluni.dll
> and (I just checked) there are no references to it from the Java code.

I am working with a 2 month old copy of Harmony Classlib.  I would
like to hold off the move to current Harmony Classlib until after I
get the cygwin dlopen() problems solved.

> Who is trying to load it?

I modified System.java to do a "VMRuntime.nativeLoad("hynio.dll");"
This is a call into GNU Classpath JVM that will cause a DLL to be
loaded.

> The hynio.dll is scheduled for deletion once we figure out there is no
> longer a need for it (based on Paulex's ongoing work on IO refactoring).

Its good to see progress on IO refactoring!

> Regards,
> Tim
>

> --
>
> Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)