harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Tests for serialization – which package, name?
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 05:44:28 GMT
On 4/28/06, Stepan Mishura <stepan.mishura@gmail.com> wrote:
> So if you fix bug in java.io.ObjectInputStream then you have to run all
> tests for all modules because tests for serialization mixed with other
> tests. Are you OK with this?

Why? I hope tests for ObjectInputStream provide enough coverage to
check its own functionality. Serialization tests IMHO cover not
ObjectInputStream behavior, but serialization of those particular
classes.

Of course it is posiible to break serialization by changing
ObjectInputStream, however that is of low correlation (we have
discussed the concept of dependency matrix already). With your
approach each change in String requires almost all tests to re-launch
(since almost all classes use Strings). Do you think we have to
separate all the tests which use Strings? :-)

--
Anton Avtamonov,
Intel Middleware Products Division