harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [doc] Compatibility guidelines
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:33:20 GMT

> >> That's what I thought we agreed.  If the guide does not make that clear
> >> then I am happy to clarify.
> >
> > Guidelines clearly mentioned that. I could not recall if everyone was
> > agree or not :-).
> > As I remember there were lots of people who proposed to base on RI
> > behavior only (to be as much comatible as possible).
> >
> > Personally I'm completely agree with guidelines approach.
>
> The problem is that in the real world, we're going to have trouble
> defending why everyone else is wrong, and we are correct.
>
> This is why I'd like to discuss and be able to go w/ RI behavior, and in
> either case, WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN so that for diversions from the RI we
> can make it easy for users to see why their code breaks on Harmony when
> it runs everywhere else and for diversions from spec, we can eventually
> come back after some time when we have achieved World Dominance(tm) and
> fix them...

I see I was right that we didn't have an agreement :-)

Geir, I completely understood you point and even agree with you. My
idea (and I believe Tim's guidelines support it) was to avoid copying
of definite RI bugs. Just because I believe that there are no (or
almost no) applications which are based on something which is
definitely bug, not feature.

However your proposal just to be as good as RI does for now, 'mark'
all problems and revise them later definitely makes sense.

Let's say I'm neutral and wait for others opinions.

I'm sure that this is very key question and we have to achieve an
agreement here.

Wishes,
--
Anton Avtamonov,