harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Internationalized messages
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:17:19 GMT
> Anton Avtamonov wrote:
> <snip>
> >> I'd prefer the module name '.', i.e. beans.1, beans.2, and so on.
> >
> > I'm not sure. Module name IMHO doesn't make too much sense since it is
> > already 'coded' into accessor location and class location. I would
> > prefer <class_name>.<message intention> like
> > RandomAccessFile.file_is_closed
> > or something similar which keeps the idea of what the message is about.
> >
> > That requires a bit more efforts but makes the code understandable.
>
> I'd be inclined to agree, but using long key String turned out to be one
> of the top Eclipse performance bloopers [1] so we actually need to keep
> them short.

Ok, I cautch it. But I didn't propose long keys, just
intention-revealing. They should be definitely no longer then usual
fields/methods names.

Besides, I suppose classlib is ususally quite silent :-). The majority
of messages we need are exceptions, right? I remember our
investigation - exception itself (trace calculation) takes too much;
String impact will be eliminated :-)

Wishes,
--
Anton Avtamonov,