harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Internationalized messages
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:32:12 GMT
> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> >> Sure.  What would you like to discuss?
> >
> > 1. Do we put all the messages into one file or per-module?
> I'd prefer one catalog per module now that we have the code split up.
> The risk is that there will be large duplication of common messages, but
> let's see, they should stand alone.

Definitely. I think that keeping them serarately increases modularization.

> If we do split them up then I guess it makes sense to put the accessor
> class and properties files into org.apache.harmony.<component>.internal?

> Creating and maintaining these (accessor/strings) is trivial in the
> Eclipse string externalization tool.

> > 2. When I tried to internationalize it with Eclipse it suggested me
> > keys looking
> > different way (something like "RandomAccessFile.1"). So what are the keys that
> > are liked by most of the people?
> I'd prefer the module name '.', i.e. beans.1, beans.2, and so on.

I'm not sure. Module name IMHO doesn't make too much sense since it is
already 'coded' into accessor location and class location. I would
prefer <class_name>.<message intention> like
or something similar which keeps the idea of what the message is about.

That requires a bit more efforts but makes the code understandable.

Anton Avtamonov,
Intel Middleware Products Division