harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: should strings in exceptions match the reference implementation?
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 06:46:03 GMT
> Hello, Anton,
>
> On 4/17/06, Anton Avtamonov <anton.avtamonov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > No, we don't need all those branches. Only the branch for Harmony.
> > Only for those cases when we DO know that we have a deviation.
> > IMHO, I prefer to have all tests passing on RI (which verify tests
> > itself) and on Harmony (which verifies Harmony).
>

>  But there ARE some different behaviours between Harmony and RI.
> How could our test case show or these differences if all are passed both on
> RI and Harmony?
> I think our test cases should show these differences instead of hiding them.
>
> Failures should
> > indicate something wrong with tests or with Harmony code. There should
> > be no other failures, I think.
>

> Yes. So I think all test cases could pass on Harmony, but on RI :-)
> Failures on RI mean RI has different understanding or behaviours compared to
> Harmony criteria, or in other words, they're wrong behaviour according to
> Harmony criteria.

Well, not completely agree. I RI has BUG, I agree to have
corresponding Harmony test failing. However do you think that
different exception messges say is a good reason to have failures? I
don't think so. Just a minor differemce which can be 'formally
documented' by using isHarmony() is tests.

Wishes,
--
Anton Avtamonov,
Intel Middleware Products Division