harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: should strings in exceptions match the reference implementation?
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 06:06:24 GMT
On 4/17/06, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
> So, the second issue, should we be checking for messages/descriptions
> in exception
> tests, even to match what Harmony throws?  If we do then our api tests
> wont pass on other implementations.

Hi Mark,
As I said already I don't see any huge reasons to check the messages
(probably for not being empty only). However I suppose sometimes it
could be necessary. I'm pretty sure we will face many cases when we
need to deviate from RI (it was discussed already in other threads).

What I propose is to use for tests some utility method like
isHarmony(). It will act as a 'formal' indicator of all our
deviations.

For this particular situation is should be something like:
if (TestUtilities.isHarmony()) {
    assertEquals("some message", e.getMessage())
}

 What do you think?

--
Anton Avtamonov,