harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: classlib test suite status emails?
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 06:20:02 GMT
On 4/12/06, Stepan Mishura <stepan.mishura@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi George,
>
>  Your example looks good for me and I think everybody agreed that we should
> organize testing to avoid running all tests for each update: if you fix bug
> in 'net' module you don't have to run tests say for 'awt' module but if you
> update 'luni' then you have to run tests for all modules.

Absolutely agree. Looks like a concept of so-called 'dependency
matrix'. Its rows and columns represents functional areas. Each cell
contains a number from 0 to 1 which represents the correlation between
those functionalilies, diagonal cells (representing self-impact of
each functional area) obviously contain 1.
QE usually used that approach to decide which tests needs to be re-executed.

Simplifiing this approach to use only binary dependency (0 or 1) I
beleive it can be automated so that commiter will just need to call
some ant target to run all dependent tests. Of course, it needs to be
kept up to date, however I expect such dependencies are not
dynamically changed, i.e. it is well-known that almost everything
depends from luni and almost nothing from net, etc.

--
Anton Avtamonov,
Intel Middleware Products Division