harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: [classlib] Tests for serialization – which package, name?]
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:05:26 GMT
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> On 4/28/06, Paulex Yang wrote:
>
>> Paulex Yang wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>
>>> I think two serialization test is necessary in general:
>>>
>>> 1. test for Harmony itself, which ensure that the object can be
>>> serialized/deserialized smoothly within Harmony VM/classlib
>>> 2. test for compatibility with RI, which ensure that the object
>>> serialized by RI can be deserialized by Harmony smoothly, and vice
>>>
>> versa.
>>
>>> The sample I mentioned is only for case 1. And if I understand you
>>> clearly, your concern is about case 2, for which, there is a
>>> test_serializationCompatibility() method in [2].
>>>
>>> And the SerializationTester[1] provide a helper method named as
>>> assertCompabilityEquals(Object obj, String fileName), which will
>>> deserialize object from give file (supposing it's the golden file
>>> generated by RI), compare with given Object and return result.
>>>
>> I missed one thing just now, because currently we only run testcases on
>> Harmony, currently these testcass only cover half of case 2 -
>> deserialized bytes generated by RI in Harmony. And if we start to run
>> testcase on RI someday, we can try some straight forward modification to
>> support the other part.
>>

> Raulex, if you someday will want to add new option/capability to
> serialization testing it will be not trivial task to do if serialization
> tests are mixed with other tests.

Stepan,

I think there are two issues:
1. mixed/separated serialization tests
2. two serialization frameworks

I consider the adding new option/capability is more a framework issue
than mixed/separation. And we need to discuss how we merge our
serialization tests into unified framework. But as you mentioned, that's

About the sperated/mixed tests, I just consider many serilization test
codes are too trivial to be separated as a unique class( by referring
some code sample ).