harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Testing
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2006 06:18:46 GMT
Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> Paulex,
>
> we have at least 8 categories of tests:
>     running from classpath or bootclasspath
>     implementation specific or independent
>     testing org.apache.harmony.* or java.*
> Could you please list how all the tests will be named

Mikhail,

OK, let me try. I'm not sure if all 8 categories are necessary,

1. [classpath], [independent], [java.*]
       o.a.h.<module name>.tests.api.<package name>, e.g.,
o.a.h.luni.tests.api.java.util is test package for java.util
     I consider the module name is optional and can be removed, so it can be
       o.a.h.tests.api.java.util for java.util

2. [classpath], [dependent], [o.a.h.*]
      o.a.h.<module name>.tests.<package name without o.a.h...prefix>,
e.g., o.a.h.luni.tests.util is test package for o.a.h.luni.util
    Again, the module name is optional, but if module name is not
prefix, it should be part of package name, so it is:
       o.a.h.tests.luni.util for o.a.h.luni.util

3. [classpath], [independent], [o.a.h.*]
    I don't expect these classes/tests exist.

4. [classpath], [dependent], [java.*]
    if my understanding is correct, this category means the tests for
intended different behavior between Harmony and RI, I consider these
tests should be put in same package with API tests, and separate them by
running script instead of different package, because RI may fix bug in
the revision later(e.g, Sun JDK 1.5.1 maybe?), and IIRC in another
thread we have agreed that we always follow latest version of RI, so it
will be much easier to change the different behavior tests to API tests
if we use script to separate them, and vice versa.

5. [bootclasspath],
    which covers 4 categories you mentioned, the test cases are in same
package with implementions
       e.g.
       java.util is test package for java.util
          and
       o.a.h.luni.util is test packag for o.a.h.luni.util

As a summary, we'll have four kind of test packages:

a. o.a.h.<module>.tests.api.java.***  for case 1,4 above
b. o.a.h.<module>.tests.***  for case 2 above
c. java.***, for case 5 above
d. o.a.h.***, for case 5 above

comments?