harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Summer Of Code 2006 - Lets get Harmony involved
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:34:46 GMT
There have been some good suggestions, but I want to check and be sure
that the project we propose has enough "original work" - IOW, there may
be some requirement about new functionality.

Either way, I have another suggestion for a SOC project, which would be
very benficial (IMO) to our classlib effort while at the same time
requiring some VM headspace...

I'm talking about exploring my fantasies about a test framework that
lets us do conventional "in the same package" unit-test authoring while
giving us precise control over the classlibrary used to run the tests,
as well as possibly other factors.

Sanket, read back through if you aren't aware.  There are two related
basic problems is this...

First, when we test the Harmony classlib, we use the harmony classlib to
run JUnit to run the tests that test... the same classlib running JUnit.
This should make anyone squeamish, because there is no "known good" base
we are using for testing.

Second, we *can't* have tests for the java.* classes as unit tests in
java.* package space, because they'd need to be on the boot classpath,
and therefore aren't in the same "context" as user code.

So, the question is what to do.

1) Could we simply have a classloader that can be put in a special mode
so it doesn't that unit tests for bootclasspath-resident packages are
not on the boot classpath?

2) We can divide our tests into two types, "specification tests" (which
can't be on boot classpath)for testing of the classlib's public behavior
is as expected and "integration tests" which are tests which test
private internal behavior.  Some of these may suffer from context
issues, which I think we can handle on a case by case basis.

Ideally, it would be great to be able to test the classlib in a
controlled way, independent of the VM and classlib needed to run it.
IOW, it would be interesting to be able to test our classlib independent
of the VM running it, and independent of the 'hosting' classlib running
the test harness to test the candidate classlib.

IOW :

     VM + host classlib + SpecialTestFramework(candidate classlib)

if that makes any sense...