harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: [classlib] String is special
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:12:45 GMT
Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Not really.  I can add the warning, but I was looking for a way to
>> ensure people did not mistakenly change String or did not read the
>> doc/dev list.  By failing people's commit and making them explicitly
>> acquire the token first they have to know what they are doing.
>
> So, you should investigate a pre-commit script based approach.  For
> example, you could require a harmony:string-revision property on the
> String.java file.  The pre-commit script would check that any commit
> increases this revision by one; if not, then an explicit (custom) error
> message can be given.

I kindof agree with Etienne.. it seems like you are preemptively trying
to solve a problem that hasn't occurred yet (which is another one of
those root-of-all-evil kind of things).

Why not just put a warning in String.java, and then, if people turn out
to be too hard-headed to heed it, bring in harder enforcement later.
As with all open-source projects, if people aren't already being reasonable
and communicating in the first place, then we'll have larger problems.

-Archie