harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Gagnon <egag...@sablevm.org>
Subject Re: [classlib] String is special
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:19:49 GMT
Hi Tim,

I have an objection.

Locking has nothing to do with "commit control".  Allowing for svn
locking functionality is opening a can of worms.  What if somebody
aquires a lock and loses network connectivity for a week (because of a
Hurricane, because he forgot and went on vacation, etc.)?  The whole svn
philosophy is to allow for parrallel development, instead of the
serialized development imposed by locking based repositories (Visual
Source Safe, RCS, etc).

I would sugget, instead, to put a BIG WARNING at the top of String.java,
indicating that any change must first be approved on harmony-dev@.  I
think that this would accomplish your goal in a more appropriate manner.

Etienne