harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib] String is special
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:12:00 GMT
You'll recall a while ago when we were discussing moving j.l.String out
from KERNEL to LUNI [1] that the shape of String is something we would
expect VMs & JITs to be sensitive to (like all our KERNEL classes), but
that there is significant shared behavior that it is worth sharing
(which is why we moved it into LUNI).

I suggested that we could deal with this by ensuring changes to String
were closely monitored, and any such changes agreed on the list first
(thereby acquiring a 'golden ticket').  There have been a few changes to
String recently (I have reviewed them, and they look benign) but I'd
like to reiterate that call.

To ensure that all committers can continue to update String, but that
they do so 'knowingly' (i.e. after considering the consequences) I'd
like to impose a 'positive action' pre-commit step by setting the
"svn:needs-lock" property on String.java.

That will ensure that committers do not inadvertently (despite their
thorough diff review) apply a patch that modifies String.java.  The
extra step required would simply be to acquire a lock on String.java
first and that should be enough to remind people that they are modifying
this class.

(This is for my benefit as much as anyone else's)

If there are no objections I'll go ahead and do this.

Regards,
Tim

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200602.mbox/%3C43FDB1AE.7060807@gmail.com%3E