harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Harley <george.c.har...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Copying resource files - what for?
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:54:43 GMT
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> On 4/20/06, George Harley wrote:
>
>> Hi Stepan,
>>
>> As I recall it ( I've not my morning coffee yet so it could get a bit
>> unreliable here :-) ) the motivation for wanting resource files on the
>> classpath was to enable serialization data files to be read in by test
>> programs without depending on specific file locations. Copying such
>> serialization data files to a bin location prior to running the tests
>> obviously gets them on the classpath in a very simple way.
>>

> Yes, but we get the same if we just add resource directory to classpath -
> that is simpler then copying.

Hi Stepan,

You are saying that the source folder containing the resources should be
added as an extra classpath entry when running the tests. I prefer only
having "output folders" (e.g. bin folders) on the classpath so I copy
the resources across. Both approaches seem fine to me. At least one
popular Java IDE gives developers the option to send compiler output to
either the source directory or to a separate output folder.

> The documentation for the Ant copy task states that that "files are only
>
>> copied if the source file is newer than the destination file". I
>> interpret that as meaning that we should not expect to see the copying
>> of thousands of files each time we run the tests.
>>

> But the build removes 'bin' directory during clean up so all copied resource
> files are removed too.

What bin directory do you mean here ?