harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy, Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: should strings in exceptions match the reference implementation?
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:17:54 GMT
 >Anton Avtamonov wrote:
> On 4/18/06, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I thought my first message in this thread made this clear but obviously not.
>>
>> I'm not suggesting that code would care if the exception messages are
>> identical.  I was suggesting that it is probably now quite common for
>> users to type error messages straight in to google.  Therefore having
>> messages match those of existing implementations would help our users
>> find the cause of an exception.

Er... that really matters. So shall we start write a list of such
messages and give a little more information, and then put it on webpages
or wiki, and then as a result, every user of Harmony get a result if he
google? There can be more solutions.

However it can not be the reason that we should match the string with
RI, as many user also copy exception track trace to google, so there'll
be com.ibm... or com.sun... or something else if they use RI, Harmony
shall never match them, right? :)

> Yes, right. I saw several times like people did that and even did by
> myself for javac.
>
> If I remember we decided not to copy the mesages because it is
> *possibly* a legal isssue and maybe copyrightable. Is it possible to
> ask apache legal? Probably the answer will solve our problems :-).

That's the point. Agree.

> Wishes,
> --
> Anton Avtamonov,