harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: should strings in exceptions match the reference implementation?
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 03:55:14 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Paulex Yang wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

>>> Really?  Every other JRE uses the classlibrary from sun.  They would
>>> have the same messages, wouldn't they?
>> I'm sure not *every*, at least GNU classpath has no chance to use
>> classlib from Sun ;-) .
>
> It's not a JRE :)
>
> But BEA, IBM and Sun use the library from Sun. I'd bet Apple does too.
> As far as I know, that's about it for maintream JRE/JDKs...
OK, AFAIK as a user, IBM JDK includes much class lib implementation from
Sun, but not all, because you can see com.ibm.*** randomly from the
stack trace:).

Anyway, it's not the key point, the key point is the what is our
baseline considering "compatibility", I assume the baseline is to pass
TCK and not to break existing applications. While I have no any idea
about TCK, I believe few application depends on message, so I see no
reason so far why we must pay great effort (even greater than exception
type compatibility I think) to have same message with RI.

And legal issue stand out here yet another time....

> Good question though - what does GNU Classpath do?
>
> geir
>

>>> geir

Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab