harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy, Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: should strings in exceptions match the reference implementation?
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 07:34:57 GMT
Andrew Zhang wrote:
> On 4/17/06, Anton Avtamonov <anton.avtamonov@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, not completely agree. I RI has BUG, I agree to have
>> corresponding Harmony test failing. However do you think that
>> different exception messges say is a good reason to have failures? I
>> don't think so. Just a minor differemce which can be 'formally
>> documented' by using isHarmony() is tests.
>>

> I agree with you that different exception messages are not failures. So in
> my opnion, we'd better avoid such test cases.
> If some exception messages are really very important to developers ( I don't
> have any idea about such Exception classes),
> I think RI should contain similiar information so that we can write some
> test cases, which both RI and Harmony could pass, by verifying keywords
> instead.
> If "isHarmony()" is used, then what's the expected message? I don't think
> there's a "Harmony exception message spec" :-)

Yes, and another problem is that it is hard to tell if the tests are currently running on
Harmony or RI, even harder than to tell the platforms.
However I think Avtamonov's idea is professional, although a bit complex. :) After all, the
tests, currently in Harmony, put all tests for one class in one testcase file and all tests
for one method in one test method, that's why it seems write try{fail()}catch{//correct} is
rather easy, right? :)