harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Gagnon <egag...@sablevm.org>
Subject Re: [vmi] JNI spec interpretation?
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:02:44 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>
>> The IBM VME comes with a check utility that complains about bad
>> practices detected in JNI code:
>>
>> Usage: -Xcheck:jni:[option[,option[,...]]]
>>         pedantic       perform more thorough, but slower checks

What a cool option.  :-)

> This is very cool.  I wonder if after some time when we get this under
> control, we should add to the standard test bed...

Actually, I'm surprised that it's not already turned on while testing...
 Getting JNI usage right is not just a simple "option"; it's a
requirement according to the JNI spec.  Bad JNI usage leads to undefined
behavior.  SableVM has no (or minimal) protection against badly behaving
JNI code.  Of course, with time, we'll add robustness checks, but this
takes time to implement.  And then remains the question of how to deal
with misbehaving code... I know: "match the RI" will be suggested. :-)

Etienne