harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Source tarballs!
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:59:53 GMT

Mark Hindess wrote:
> I did briefly look at adding a source snapshot to the snapshot target
> but decided that trying to avoid picking up any non-source files was
> too error prone and that the only reliable way to make them is to take
> a clean checkout.

Yah, indeed, but that's not too much of a burden.  That's probably good
practice anyway for doing the  binary and source snapshots - some script
that does that for a provided revision number, does a checkout, and then
kicks off the regular script in the checked-out tree...

> While looking at this, I wondered about whether the source snapshot
> should include .svn directories.  Having them might be useful to get
> the initial checkout that people could then update.  However, the .svn
> directories do account for some 135M my harmony tree which comes to
> around 18M for a "gzip -9" tar - approximately double the size.

No, don't add .svn - it doubles everything as there's a complete copy in

My reasoning is this - if someone can't do "svn checkout" to get the
tree to start with, adding this baggage won't help them.  They are
getting the source snapshot because they probably can't get to SVN.