harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: select one (was: RE: svn commit: r391955 [5/5] - in /incubator/harmony/enhanced/...)
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 00:40:06 GMT

Mark Hindess wrote:
> Mikhail, Thanks for the pointers.
>
> I dug back in the mail archives.  Geir wrote:
>
>> I think of it still as "live material" in our tree, but I don't
>> feel too strongly about this.  If we keep it there, we should set  a
>> policy to expire it out of there at some point.
>
> I'd suggest that the two files that you mention which are "never used"
> probably don't qualify as "live material". ;-)

Agreed.

> So, now my question is when is it going to be expired?  i'd suggest
> that anything moved to archive should have an expiry date set in a
> file or svn property when it is moved so it is clear when it will be
> removed.
>
> Personally, I still think having paths archive/modules and
> modules/archive is confusing.  99% of our users will never use the
> extra >1.5M overhead of "svn checkout" that 'archive' creates.  The 1%
> who might want it can easily find it in svn.

The only reason we stuck security in an archive/modules was because we
wanted an easy way to be copying things that we found useful to the live
version - mainly javadoc and such.  We were afraid that if we deleted
it, it would be a pain to do that.

My real fear is that we'd collectively forget.  Maybe I'm just projecting :)

So how about this - why don't we put a text file somewhere (in SVN!) in
which we "log" major things that we delete, and put the svn rev # of
where it was live.

That way we don't forget what we've tossed, and also make it easy to get
something back, w/o having to play "wack-a-mole" with the version numbers...

Also, if it's small stuff, I assume that there's no reason to log unless
someone squawks...?

geir