harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Harley <george.c.har...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: matching reference implementation exception behaviour
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:13:44 GMT
LvJimmy´╝îJing wrote:
> Hi All:
>
>     Another thing requires our attention is that RI itself, I meaning
> Sun,IBM, BEA or so, does not perform the same in different platforms. That
> is reasonable as the Operation-Systems do not work in the same way. For an
> example, these differences appear very frequently on network functions. As a
> result, it seems very difficult for us to write testcases on them.
>     Currently, as Harmony only supports windows and Linux, one possible but
> bad solution is that get system properity "OS" in our unit testcase, use
> different parameters in testcases by telling whether it is Linux or windows.
> Another solution we comment out these testcases, or add them into "exclude
> testcase list" when apply our patch, as we do recently. Both solutions are
> not so proper.

Hi Jimmy,

The (infamous) exclusion list brings with it the ability to exclude
named test case methods if they are being run on a specific name
platform [1]. That would remove both the need to comment out methods in
the test case class (and with it the dependency on the developer
remembering to go back and uncomment the method in the future) as well
as the need for peppering the test code with operating system detection
code and multiple different code paths. Result : cleaner test code and
one list containing all of the test methods that may or may not get run
depending on platform etc.

Best regards,
George

[1] =