harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [rmi] getting 1.4 bytecode
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:30:06 GMT
Daniel Gandara wrote:
> Hi,    As discussed with Oliver, I built the rmi code with the -target
> jsr14 option and I got a 1.4 bytecode for the package.    I run our
> test suit against the package and it seems to work ok.

That's great news!

> This is a sum up of the experience:
> 1) -target jsr14 option only worked with Sun's compiler, I    could
> not make it work on Eclipse...

Tim described in [1] that the Eclipse batch compiler unfortunately does
not support this kind of 1.5 to 1.4 compilation. There has been further
discussion in that thread as to which solution is best for us - Sun
compiler using -target jsr14, and/or Eclipse compiler at 1.5 level and
then use a tool called Retroweaver to alter the bytecodes to work on 1.4.

> 2) I had to make changes to the code, basically I had to    change
> enums and change/remove java.util.concurrent    classes we use
> (ConcurrentHashMap and    ThreadPoolExecutor)

I got some enum examples working by just adding a basic Enumeration
class to the java.lang package in luni, but I only trialled fairly
simple cases. What kind of alterations did you need to make? It will be
interesting to know some of the limits of this compiler option.

> note: there is obviously a performance penalty due to 2).
>
> The question I have now is if I should send this modified code to be
> used in Harmony during this transitional phase or not.  What do you
> think?

I think it's probably a good thing to get the code out there so we can
start to use it, even if this means making some temporary modifications.

Regards,
Oliver

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200604.mbox/%3c4433A197.8030305@gmail.com%3e