harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] update on running Harmony Classlib on GNU Classpath VMs
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 08:15:51 GMT
Weldon Washburn wrote:
>>> I was able to eliminate almost all mods necessary to run Harmony
>>> Classlib on a GNU Classpath VM.  The VM used is still JCHEVM.
>> Cool -- I'd be very interested to hear about what you are doing.
>
> I tried to give a complete explaination in the readme in JIRA
> Harmony-318.  It would be great if you could tell me what this
> document is missing or where it is unclear.

Ok, I'll take a look.  I think this adapter work is very important, it
would be good to discuss problems/progress on the dev list too.

>>> The VM
>>> expects a specific hardcoded java lib directory structure.  Therefore,
>>> directories such as kernel/src/main/java/gnu/classpath have been added
>>> to Harmony Classlib.
>> Do you mean directory paths to the class library JARs or specific class
>> package names?
>
> Actually I could not get JCHEVM/cygwin to read the JAR files.

Is that an issue with JCHEVM or the JAR files do you think?

> I simply use unzipped Harmony class files.  The directory paths in
> question were added because generic GNU Classpath VMs are hardcoded to
> expect to find specific class files in specific packages.  Which, in
> turn, means creating the corresponding *.java files in new
> directories.  The alternative would be to get GNU Classpath to modify
> their directory structure plus get all the JVMs using GNU Classpath to
> change their hardcoding.

I agree that producing an adapter to redirect from Classpath's
hard-coded assumptions is the right answer.

>>> The one remaining mod to JCHEVM is because dlopen() fails to load
>>> hynio.dll.
>> That DLL shouldn't be loaded?  We moved the natives out into hyluni.dll
>> and (I just checked) there are no references to it from the Java code.
>
> I am working with a 2 month old copy of Harmony Classlib.  I would
> like to hold off the move to current Harmony Classlib until after I
> get the cygwin dlopen() problems solved.

Ah, ok -- I'll try and do the timeshift thing, but if there are fixes
that are required in Harmony classlib to make things work/easier for you
they will be applied to the current HEAD, and we can discuss what is
required for them to work in your local sandbox.

>> Who is trying to load it?
>
> I modified System.java to do a "VMRuntime.nativeLoad("hynio.dll");"
> This is a call into GNU Classpath JVM that will cause a DLL to be
> loaded.

(Two months ago:) IIRC there is an explicit call to
System.loadLibary("hynio") in the class libary code, so why do you need
to make that into a Classpath-specific call?

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)