harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Migliore <enrico.migli...@fatti.com>
Subject [sablevm] SIGSEGV signal received from Cygwin
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 15:04:46 GMT
Hi,

I'm doing some testing on SableVM, and noticed that is receives the very
same segmentation fault signal that JCHEVM does, from
pthread_key_create() which is embedded in:

 /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll

I read around that this problem could be fixed, but the error means that
the Cygwin platform can only be used for developing, studying and
testing and not for real world use.

Let me recap the problems we face when trying to port JCHEVM and SableVM
on Windows:

problem 1:  POSIX dependancy
---------------------------------
The code contains a certain number of POSIX calls (dependancies). Much
of them can be easily replaced, but some might be hard to replace.

problem 2:  GCC extensions
-----------------------------
The code contains some GCC extensions which are not ANSI.

problem 3:  Which compiler?
GCC seems to be the best candidate but MSVC is more popular.

problem 4:  Native code dependancies
The Harmony class library depends on the port layer:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/doc/vm_doc/html/index.html

Is this layer available for MSVC?

Enrico