harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [vmi] JNI spec interpretation?
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:10:16 GMT

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Etienne Gagnon wrote:
>
>> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>>
>>> What I mean to say is that the behaviour when the function is called
>>> without a pending exception is unspecified, and in that case I think it
>>> makes most sense to match the RI.
>>>
>> Let's say that I disagree to *impose* matching the RI's behavior for
>> undefined JNI code on Harmony VMs.  In many cases, matching the RI's
>> behavior on undefined JNI would require reverse engineering way beyond a
>> point I feel comfortable with.  I definitely think that Harmony's native
>> code should NEVER rely on undefined JNI behavior.  JIRA reports should
>> be raised for faulty JNI code.
>>

> I agree.

Also agree. I think, as we agreed to do with the Java APIs, differences
with the RI should be examined on a case by case basis. To clarify, my
mail above wasnt intended as a blanket statement for all differences,
just for this particular one.

>> On the other hand, I think that it would be a nice thing to keep an
>> explicit list of "expected" behavior for some widely used (by 3rd
>> parties) "undefined JNI", so that VM implementors are *encouraged* (not
>> *forced*) to provide such workarounds.  Some workarounds can be
>> expensive to implement; we had we had to implement a more expensive
>> approach for badly written JNI code that does not explicitly reserve
>> enough local native references (only 16 are guaranteed by default in the
>> spec).

Agreed - and recording where we have chosen to match or differ from the
RI would be useful also.

--
Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited