harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [vmi] JNI spec interpretation?
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 15:31:06 GMT
Robert Lougher wrote:
> The word "pragmatic" springs to mind.  FWIW, JamVM will print nothing
> if no exception is pending.  It didn't do this originally -- it blew
> up with a SEGV.  I changed it because a user reported an application
> which didn't work with JamVM but it did with Suns VM (can't remember
> which application, it was a long time ago).

This sounds right to me. As a user Id expect a call that prints
exception output to the screen to just print nothing and return if there
is no pending exception.

> It's all very well bombing out with an assertion failure, but to the
> average end-user it's still the VMs fault, especially if it works with
> other runtimes (i.e. Suns).

Exactly - isn't this one of those differences to undocumented RI
behaviour that we should try to match?

> Rob.
>
> On 4/5/06, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org> wrote:
>
>> Tim Ellison wrote:
>>
>>> Understood -- my point is that "blowing up" and "corrupting internal
>>> data structures" is not something you would do by design.
>>>
>> Agreed. By using assertions you get the best of both worlds.
>> Assertions are especially useful for detecting badly behaving
>> JNI native code, which can otherwise result in very hard to
>> track down errors.
>>
>> -Archie

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited