harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: New IBM VME
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:43:04 GMT
Daniel Gandara wrote:
> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>> Daniel,
>> The new VME is still at the 1.4 level, but with updated VM and kernel
>> classes. As I have mentioned, two of the main reasons for this VME
>> update was to allow for package renaming to go ahead, and also to
>> allow String to be removed from the kernel, making kernel
>> implementation easier for other VM providers. If there is a necessity
>> in the future for a 1.5 VME, then one could be created, but currently
>> classlib only requires 1.4.
>
> agreed, but it is hard to think of a "current" classlib requiring 1.5
> when
> the available VMs are 1.4 ....  for example: we have contributed two
> packages: java.math and java.rmi which are 1.5 compliant and dependent
> but they are waiting at the JIRA

Understood. It would be good to get these contributions into Harmony,
and I hope that the option to compile them down to 1.4 bytecodes will
allow us to do that. With a couple of Harmony VMs moving towards using
the class library at 1.4 level, it is definitely worth investigating
these avenues, at least as a short term solution.

>> I believe that while we are in a transitional phase from 1.4 to 1.5,
>> a 1.4 VME will suffice, and the solution that is being discussed in
>> the "[classlib] Switching to a 5.0 compiler" [1] is the way to go
>> ahead for the moment.
>
> ok, I'll ask there about removing 1.5 dependencies from java.rmi and
> compile it to get 1.4 bytecode...

I hope that you would not have to remove too much when compiling to 1.4
bytecodes - I guess this is something we still need to investigate. Have
you tried building the rmi code with the -target jsr14 option? Id
(amongst others, Im sure) be interested to hear what results you get,
and whether any alterations are necessary.

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited