harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: New IBM VME
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 12:57:48 GMT
Daniel,

The new VME is still at the 1.4 level, but with updated VM and kernel
classes. As I have mentioned, two of the main reasons for this VME
update was to allow for package renaming to go ahead, and also to allow
String to be removed from the kernel, making kernel implementation
easier for other VM providers. If there is a necessity in the future for
a 1.5 VME, then one could be created, but currently classlib only
requires 1.4. I believe that while we are in a transitional phase from
1.4 to 1.5, a 1.4 VME will suffice, and the solution that is being
discussed in the "[classlib] Switching to a 5.0 compiler" [1] is the way
to go ahead for the moment.

My hope is that in the not too distant future we may see one or two of
the Harmony VMs stepping up to 1.5 level, and we can begin to use them
with our classlib :)

Regards,
Oliver

[1]