harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vmi] JNI spec interpretation?
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 08:54:08 GMT
Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Etienne Gagnon wrote:
>> It seems that the launcher assumes that it is OK to call
>> (*env)->ExceptionDescribe() even when there is no pending exception.
> Definitely sounds like a bug (in the launcher) to me.

I've modified the launcher to behave better.

So what should a VM do if somebody calls ExceptionDescribe() and there
is no pending exception?

(a) blow up
(b) silently ignore it, since there is nothing to describe
(c) print out something along the lines of 'no exception'

Since anyone can call the function at any time I'd argue that option (a)
is not a good choice.

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.