harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Gagnon <egag...@sablevm.org>
Subject [vmi] JNI spec interpretation?
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:14:05 GMT
Hi,

I have started playing with the launcher and SableVM.  I have a little
fun trying to figure out how to debug the thing using DDD.  The execv
trick was a nasty one to get over... Anyway, now that it works, I am
facing a JNI specification interpretation problem.

It seems that the launcher assumes that it is OK to call
(*env)->ExceptionDescribe() even when there is no pending exception.

My reading of the JNI spec is different.  The spec says:

 "... This function has the side effect of clearing *the* pending
  exception..."

This contrasts with ExceptionClear which says:

 "...Clears *any* pending exception... If no exception..."

Therefore, I always assumed that the necessarily was a pending
exception.  One cannot talk about *the* pending exception, if there is
not necessarily one.  Otherwise, the spec would have said: ...clearing
any pending exception...

What do others think?  Should I file a bug against the launcher, i.e:

native-src/shared/launcher/main.c line 1006

?

Etienne