harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject New IBM VME
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:26:58 GMT
Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce that a new IBM VME will be made available soon at:
   http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/harmony/index.html

The new VME downloads are named Harmony-vme-win.IA32-v2.zip and
Harmony-vme-linux.IA32-v2.tar.gz. I would like to stress that if you
download these packages now, they will *not* work with the class library
code currently in Harmony Subversion. This VME has been created looking
forward to changes that have been discussed on the list, but have not
yet been carried out. They are:
 - completion of renaming of com.ibm packages, especially in LUNI
module. The new VME expects only org.apache.harmony package names.
 - removal of String from the kernel, and addition of an intern(String)
method to the org.apache.harmony.kernel.vm.VM class. The new VME does
*not* contain String in its kernel jars. It does, however, provide an
intern(String) method in the VM class, as was suggested in [1]. The
String.intern() method in Harmony will just redirect the call to
VM.intern(String).

Once these changes are made in the Harmony repository, the new version
of the VME will be required to run with Harmony classlib. I will send
out a further mail when this is done confirming that the new VME is
available and ready to use.

A link to the VME v1 will still be available in the same place, and this
should still be used until the above changes are made.

Regards,
Oliver

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200602.mbox/%3c43FB44A0.2040805@googlemail.com%3e